Now the Winnebago is generally a pretty dull vehicle from a drivers perspective. Big, slow and cumbersome, it’s not the sort of thing you would take to the track for some hot laps. Oodles of practicality but not much excitement.
However, slap some wings on one and fly it through space and suddenly things are a little more interesting.
Mel Brooks’ 1987 spoof Spaceballs is one of the great parody comedies of all time, tearing shreds off Star Wars, Star Trek and everything else that gets in its way. Many regard it as his greatest work after Blazing Saddles.
The hero, an orphan named Lone Star who owes money to a crime boss named Pizza The Hut (yes, that’s his actual name), flies his converted-for-space Winnebago to the rescue of Princess Vespa (again, her real name) who has been kidnapped.
The story itself is pretty formulaic and is just a vehicle for as many jokes as possible.
But the sight of a motor home swooping through space is actually kind of impressive. It was probably meant to be a joke in itself, but to me Spaceballs may have inadvertently made Winnebago’s look cool. Which is a minor miracle in itself.
If you think about it, it’s not a bad choice for a space ship. Roomy, well-equipped, plenty of space for people and cargo. And with hyperjets on board, it’s certainly faster than your regular motor home.
So if you’re in the market for a Winnebago, put some wings on it, hit the Light Speed button and scream “may the Schwarz be with you” as you amble slowly down the road.
If you’re not in the market for a Winnebago then I suggest you just go and watch Spaceballs instead. It’s a classic and one of cinemas greatest comedies.
This article was originally published on Motor Asylum.
- The NBA Finals No One WantedIt may not be a classic matchup but the two best teams have made it through to the NBA Finals.
- Thank You, DimmaArguably the greatest coach in Richmond history, Damien Hardwick has called time on his career at the Tigers.
- Flynn’s Beach, Phillip IslandDiscover one of Phillip Island’s quieter beach option.
- 6 To 1: Ranking The Terminator MoviesWhich is the best Terminator movie of all time?
- Outrage As A Soccer Game Becomes Unexpectedly InterestingThousands of sleeping soccer fans were rudely awoken when their match was interrupted by sudden excitement.
- Gumbuya World Takes A Big Step ForwardBack in April 2022 I wrote about an earlier visit to Gumbuya World and how the waterpark area (Oasis Springs) was amazing but the rest of the park was lacking. For those who don’t know, Gumbuya World is essentially three attractions rolled into one: a water park, a native zoo and an amusement park. The amusement park section was by far the most underdone featuring …
- Why “Splash Mountain” Should RemainRe-theming Splash Mountain is not the problem. Renaming it is.
- The Perfect Introduction: The Grand TourS1, E1 of the Grand Tour was a lesson in how to start a show in style, with a little flex towards Top Gear.
- Cheviot Railway TunnelYou can walk through Victoria’s longest railway tunnel.