In this scene cut from The Godfather Part II we see Sonny’s daughter Francesca and her partner Gardner visit Michael to seek his blessing for their engagement.
While the scene was reportedly cut because Francis Ford Coppola thought Michael smiled too much which didn’t fit with his overall cold demeanour for the rest of the film, we still get to see the calm persuasiveness of Michael. There are some great lines and moments here, further highlighting the brilliance of the Godfather movies. Even the scenes that were cut are still better than what makes it into most other movies.
Personal favourites are how Michael tells Gardner not to be ashamed of his family’s wealth and his “suggestion” that he study business administration as well as his fine arts degree. It’s all loaded with intent, barely concealed behind a veil of warmth.
Also of note is the moment when Fredo interrupts and is ushered out of the room, not required to be part of this “family matter”. It again highlights how he is the perennial outsider of the Corleone’s.
Let us also not forget the look on Kay’s face at the end as Francesca speaks so favourably of her uncle.
Perhaps most interesting here is how this scene contrasts to a similar moment when Connie and Merle appear before Michael demanding money so they can marry. These two scenes play out very differently, but having both in the movie may have still felt unnecessarily repetitive.
What do you think of this scene? Should it have been left in the final cut? Let us know below.
- The NBA Finals No One WantedIt may not be a classic matchup but the two best teams have made it through to the NBA Finals.
- Thank You, DimmaArguably the greatest coach in Richmond history, Damien Hardwick has called time on his career at the Tigers.
- Flynn’s Beach, Phillip IslandDiscover one of Phillip Island’s quieter beach option.
- 6 To 1: Ranking The Terminator MoviesWhich is the best Terminator movie of all time?
- Outrage As A Soccer Game Becomes Unexpectedly InterestingThousands of sleeping soccer fans were rudely awoken when their match was interrupted by sudden excitement.
- Gumbuya World Takes A Big Step ForwardBack in April 2022 I wrote about an earlier visit to Gumbuya World and how the waterpark area (Oasis Springs) was amazing but the rest of the park was lacking. For those who don’t know, Gumbuya World is essentially three attractions rolled into one: a water park, a native zoo and an amusement park. The amusement park section was by far the most underdone featuring …
- Why “Splash Mountain” Should RemainRe-theming Splash Mountain is not the problem. Renaming it is.
- The Perfect Introduction: The Grand TourS1, E1 of the Grand Tour was a lesson in how to start a show in style, with a little flex towards Top Gear.
- Cheviot Railway TunnelYou can walk through Victoria’s longest railway tunnel.