In this scene cut from The Godfather Part II we see Sonny’s daughter Francesca and her partner Gardner visit Michael to seek his blessing for their engagement.
While the scene was reportedly cut because Francis Ford Coppola thought Michael smiled too much which didn’t fit with his overall cold demeanour for the rest of the film, we still get to see the calm persuasiveness of Michael. There are some great lines and moments here, further highlighting the brilliance of the Godfather movies. Even the scenes that were cut are still better than what makes it into most other movies.
Personal favourites are how Michael tells Gardner not to be ashamed of his family’s wealth and his “suggestion” that he study business administration as well as his fine arts degree. It’s all loaded with intent, barely concealed behind a veil of warmth.
Also of note is the moment when Fredo interrupts and is ushered out of the room, not required to be part of this “family matter”. It again highlights how he is the perennial outsider of the Corleone’s.
Let us also not forget the look on Kay’s face at the end as Francesca speaks so favourably of her uncle.
Perhaps most interesting here is how this scene contrasts to a similar moment when Connie and Merle appear before Michael demanding money so they can marry. These two scenes play out very differently, but having both in the movie may have still felt unnecessarily repetitive.
What do you think of this scene? Should it have been left in the final cut? Let us know below.
- They Might Have Been Friends, But They Were Horrible PeopleFriends is one of the most successful sitcoms of all time but it’s a mystery as to why given how unlikable the characters are.
- Timing Is Everything With Toxic TeammatesDespite their talents, Ben Simmons and Liz Cambage are poisonous for team cultures.
- Does This Confirm Who Killed Tony Soprano?This fan theory makes a good case for Tony being shot in a belated act of vengeance.
- Governments Are Corrupt Thieves – Don’t Do Their BiddingGovernment is legalised criminality. Minimise how much they can victimise you.
- The Best Guides For Sharpening Your ChainsawGet the best advice for sharpening your chain properly.
- Chateau Tanunda 2016 “Noble Baron” Cabernet SauvignonEverything you expect from a big Barossa red.
- Gumbuya World: Fun But IncompleteUntapped potential means Gumbuya World offers a good day out, but not a great one.
- Look At You: Taylor Tomlinson’s Second Netflix Special Delivers Big LaughsTaylor Tomlinson’s new special is darker, more personal and even funnier.
- 6 Of Cinema’s Greatest EndingsHalf a dozen of the best cinematic finales.